Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Observation vs. Statistics

Nothing very relevant or topical about this, but I had some thoughts about sabermetrics and its critics. A common criticism goes something along the lines of, "You can cite all the numbers you want, but I saw so-and-so play, and you can't tell me they weren't great."

Now, leaving to one side the fact that you can very easily be deceived by what you see, I'm very intrigued by this concept that seeing a player tells you more than their stats do. I think this is a curious concept in a game like baseball, which is much less about what you do on any given day than about how much you do over a long period of time. Case in point: take a player like Chad Moeller. On April 27, 2004, Chad Moeller hit for the cycle. If you saw him on that day, you'd think he's a great player. But Chad Moeller has a lifetime OPS+ of 61. He's terrible. The only way you'd know that is by watching him over a large number of games, and seeing how he tends to do.

And what exactly happens when you watch someone over a large number of games? What exactly do you see that lets you know if they're a good player or not? You certainly don't see them get on base every time they step up to the plate; the odds are overwhelming you see a player make an out more than half the time. You do, however, see them get on base sometimes, drive in runs sometimes, get big hits sometimes, etc. More importantly, you see how often they do this. Even the worst player will hit a home run sometimes, and even the very best player will strikeout sometimes, but what separates the best from the worst is how often they do each thing. So if you rate a player well, you remember seeing them succeed often. Well, what's better? Saying, "Yeah, I saw this guy, he always came up with the big hit," or going back and counting...and seeing just how often the guy came through? I mean, any time you're trying to figure out how often something happens, which is better: trying to remember how often it felt like happening, or going back and counting how many times it actually did happen? Clearly, counting, that is, figuring out what the actual facts are, rather than just what they seemed like, is the way to go.

Of course, even the most vehement saber-critic recognizes this, which is why they still use numbers like batting average and RBI. More often than not the argument is not about whether to use numbers, but about which numbers to use. It is quite clear we need to use numbers, contra any "I saw him play" argument.

This brings to mind another thought which I've had on a few occasions. I feel like even many non-sabermetrically inclined people recognize that batting average and RBI and so forth don't tell you everything, and that's why they're so quick to say, "The stats don't tell you everything; you have to watch them play." They're used to stats that can be very misleading, and so they insist the same about all stats, even though sabermetric stats are designed to avoid the pitfalls of more conventional stats. It's almost like a Catch-22.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great piece and everybody who's been spouting off about Jim Rice needs to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the fact that you have a "People Are Stupid" tag. And this is a fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, thanks! I never expected to see myself linked on Beyond the Box Score. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So is your point that Chad Moeller sucks?

    How do you know that Mrs. Moeller doesn't read this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the People are stupid tag is clever. One thing about observations that I will say is that I am thinking way too highly about David Price and Yovani Gallardo after seeing them throw a very small amount of innings. I can't just look at the stats since those guys are both young and I tend to expect bigger results over a full season as a result. It's dangerous, but I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Thank you, after reading about 6 articles on Derek Jeter being a great defensive SS I needed to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic. Why the so-called scouting types who consider themselves experts don't realize how silly they are, I'll never understand.

    I just linked to your post over at FantasyPros911, as I just love to create controversy and get the stats vs scouts debate going again! Hopefully we'll get some good comments and maybe some more understanding of what exactly these scouting types do (besides not know how to interpret stats correctly!).

    Wasn't there a famous movie quote, "Don't criticize what you don't understand"? Seems to apply perfectly here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you watch a player play you can look at things like how well they are swinging, does he look comfortable, does it appear like he is affected by an injury, does he look confident, does he look frustrated, etc. and all of those types of things can help you predict how they will hit in the short term from my experiences (as well as looking at their stats). Those are the types of things you cannot see when looking at just the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greg--How often do you see them? There is one fantasy baseball blogger that is a vehement anti stats critic, whose site rhymes with blantasy blaseball blearch, that claimed to watch 400 games a year. the ridiculousness of that claim by itself, and assuming a normal distribution of games watched by team (and who watches every team without watching their favorite), you would see a particular starting pitcher twice. can anyone tell me that they see enough of a guy like gavin floyd or armando galarraga to know that the stats are wrong?

    they may in fact be wrong; but i am 100% convinced you cannot tell they are wrong by watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Other Patrick" :-)

    I must say I and many others could tell Galarraga was a lucky SOB from watching him pitch. Not to many guys throw the junk he does and gets away with it. I used Armando for a 2 start week and didn't get the chance to watch him pitch, I was away from home one night and actually called Tony C. to watch Galarrag to let me know what he thought so I could keep or drop. He affirmed what I thought and I dropped him.......would've made a huge difference on my team if I hadn't.

    That seems to be the quandry for those of us who use stats AND eyes AND sabermetrics. I watched the guy pitch too and thought he was horrible, yet he got it done all season, even though his peripherals showed he was due to regress. I've always wondered what we are to do with a case like Galarraga's....I guess ride it out until he bottoms out? I've always been the type to bail before this happens, yet it does cost me at times.

    BTW, for someone who watches 400 games a season, they don't have a clue what a true breakout players is....don't you agree?? FYI: My favorite breakout player this season is Tim Lincecum! lol.

    Also, I probably watch over 400 games during the season. albeit not all in their entirety. My job allowed me to be home by noon, so I was able to watch baseball all day and all night...everyday of the week.....having a great wife and great kids makes it easy to do as well!

    Keep fighting the good fight, you're making the Shandler and James' of the world proud.

    ReplyDelete