Saturday, January 24, 2009

Follow-up on Michael Lewis piece post

Here's a great video from one of the Ted conferences about choice and horizontal segmentation and so forth.

There're a lot of directions I could go with this one, but for now I want to focus on something he mentions in the middle: that people don't know what they want, or at least can't accurately describe what they want. This, I think, backs up to some extent my assertion that people might misunderstand the utility of something to themselves, and thus break a pricing mechanism.

The thing about this point is it really cuts to the heart of most political debate: just how responsible are people for their actions? Libertarians believe in people having complete authority to make their own decisions; extremely statist liberals (for lack of a better term) believe in government superseding people's authority to make their own decisions. Ideologically, I fall more in line with the former belief, and, to a great extent, most Americans do as well, even the liberals, but reality does occasionally suggest that perhaps people shouldn't be trusted to make their own decisions as much. I suppose that's why it's debated over.

Again, I do hope to expand more on these thoughts, but that's what I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment