Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Brewers, Hart, avoid arbitration

"Presumably settled somewhere near the midpoint" of $3.25 million.

I have to say, I figured if Doug Melvin's arbitrationless streak had come to an end this spring, it would've been with Prince, so I guess I'm kind of not surprised at the settlement.

How Hart does next season is one of the questions I'd like to see answered. I don't know what the hell happened to him in September, but it was bizarre. He went from hitting .299/.310/.523 to hitting .173/.192/.245. That's a drop of 100 points in OPS+. Admittedly, this can perhaps be partly explained by a .213 BABIP, but it's still awful. I find it unlikely that Hart suddenly forgot how to play baseball when the calendar turned, but maybe opposing pitchers have figured him out. Hopefully it's just a case of really bad luck, and he comes right back to his former self as the season begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment