Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bill Gates is crazy

Bill Gates released mosquitoes at the TED conference.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed with this news. If someone as rich and powerful as Bill Gates is going to go batshit insane, there are way cooler ways he could do it. For example, he could call a press conference and say, "President Obama, I understand the need to protect American lives from foreign threats, but this involves putting American lives at risk. In light of this, I'm proud to present you with a new combat brigade of 10,000 troops...made entirely out of butter," and then he'd pull back a curtain to reveal 10,000 soldier sculptures, each uniquely hand-crafted out of Land O'Lakes Sweet Cream.

Or he could build a gigantic airplane hangar, and pay guys to hang out there all day, firing off automatic weapons and practicing karate, and if anyone asks him what it's for, he'd respond, "To kill James Bond." If it was pointed out to him that James Bond is a fictional character, he'd say, "That's not what the Major told me."

Or he could say, "Ladies and gentleman, in the future, we'll purchase more and more consumer goods from vending machines. Ladies and gentleman...the future is now. I present to you the first gerbil vending machine."

Or he could build a complete replica of a small town from the 1950s in the middle of the Nevada desert and hire people to smoke pipes and lead normal lives working in factories and soda fountains, just like the good old days...except none of them would wear any pants.

Anyway, I think I've made my point: if Bill Gates is going to go off the deep end, he should just commit and really do it like only he can. Releasing mosquitoes is weak sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment