Sunday, December 21, 2008

Consistency

In the course of my recent intense scholarly study of The Who, I've realized two things.

A) a ton, maybe even the majority, of Pete Townshend's songs use basically the same three chords (the I, IV, and flat-VII, if you're curious). "I Can't Explain", "Magic Bus", "Bargain", "Won't Get Fooled Again", "5:15", "Dreaming From the Waist", "Who Are You", and others are all basically written around those same three chords.

B) All of these songs not only sound distinct and unique, but they're all really excellent songs.

When I was under the illusion that I could actually write music, I was always trying to look for something new to do musically, something that no one had ever done before. I've since realized that it's more important to have something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment