Monday, March 16, 2009

A Brewers logo post

So, I'm in Arizona for spring break, and I've been having the time of my life going to Spring Training games. I plan to do a big post on that real soon, but first I'm going to do a quick one here about the Brewers' logo.

The Brewers, of course, once had the best sports logo of all time: the "ball-in-glove" logo, which combined an "m" and a "b" into a shape like a ball and glove



In 1994, however, they stopped using the logo, but brought it back in limited capacity in 2006, wearing it at "Retro Sunday" home games. In 2007, Retro Sunday became Retro Friday, and it remained in 2008. However, in 2009 Retro Fridays will only be the first Friday home game of each month.

Some people feel the old logo/uniforms should be brought back full time, but the players are resistant to this idea, because they feel they want to create their own identity, and not constantly be compared to the '82 team. While I once would've liked to see the old uniforms brought back full time, I am sympathetic to the player thoughts, and the new uniforms have grown on me. As such, I would support going to the new uniforms full-time, but I do have two reservations:

1. The ball in glove logo really is an incredible logo, and shouldn't go to waste.

2. The current main logo for the team, not seen on the uniforms but used in promotional materials and such, is godawful:



Seriously, that's just generic, boring, and ugly.

So, to me, there's an obvious solution here: update the ball in glove logo with the current colors, and use it as the primary team logo. Maybe even put it on the new uniform as a patch. It could be combined with the current wordmark to create something like this (apologies for my terrible photoshop skill):



That's much better than the current logo, and makes great use of the ball-in-glove logo, yet still seems in keeping with the team's current image, rather than calling back to the '82 era. I think this would be a perfect way to combine the team's history while allowing the current players to create their own image.

No comments:

Post a Comment